Wednesday, October 20, 2010

O Saver of My Shekels, O Bane of My Existence: Chopping Carrots and Onions

Sometimes we have to do things that we know are good for us, but that we hate, hate, HATE to do.

I know exercise is near the top of my list, right along with not eating cookies for every meal.
I also hate unloading the dishwasher.  No avoiding that.
And don't even get me started on scrubbing out the oven.

But, perhaps worst of all,
I hate, hate, HATE chopping vegetables.
No two ways about it.  It's messy, the little onion skins and clingy carrot peels always fall on the floor, the pepper seeds get everywhere, you can *never* get the celery clean enough, and I seriously cut my finger every second time I do it.
IMG_3358

But whole, unpeeled carrots and celery are easily half the price of the pre-peeled and (essentially) pre-cut baby carrots.  And a third of the price of the pre-chopped variety.  Same goes for celery and onions.
IMG_3355


So, what do I do?  I buy a ton, chop them all up (which takes me at least 30 horrible minutes, ugh, ugh, ugh.)
IMG_3359

Then I freeze recipe-sized batches in (re-used) freezer bags, and wedge them between the kids' ice cream cones and imitation chicken.
IMG_3565

So that I never have to do this ever again.  Or at least not for a few more weeks.
IMG_3523
IMG_3524

What do you absolutely dread doing but slog through anyway just to save some shekels?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! They make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...