Sunday, May 2, 2010

Don't Waste Food, Even When it Grosses You Out a Little Bit

A couple of weeks ago, I blogged on our family blog about my boys' disdain for, and complete mockery of, healthy food.

Here's a one-shot recap of what they did to the wholesome lunch I served them, in case you missed it:
IMG_1729 text blog copy

Right.  Moving On.

Judaism has a lot of "big name" Jewish values.  They include Saving a Life ("pikuach nefesh"), Keeping a Peaceful Home ("shlom bayit"), and Honoring Living Things ("k'vod habriot"), to name a few. 
One of these top-ranking, and most well-known values is Don't Waste Stuff ("bal tashchit"). 
I'm going to do an in-depth post about Bal Tashchit, its origins, and expositions on it, once I get my energy back, or some time to myself, whichever comes first (did you know that caring for a newborn and two toddlers is exhausting?)

BUT.  I will tell you that I ate those (healthy, scrumptious) leftovers.  Oh yes I did.  Even the ketchup-coated baby carrots. It's amazing what a little rinse in the sink can do...even though the hint of ketchup flavor seemed to seep into the carrot pores within minutes.  A bit yuck, but totally worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! They make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...